R'n'r show lands monthly theatre slot
A rock'n'roll stage show is to take over a major West End theatre once a month.
In an unusual arrangement, the Ambassadors Theatre will host the Be Bop A Lula tribute show on the first Wednesday of each month from March 4th, sharing the Covent Garden venue with the percussion musical, Stomp.
The Be Bop A Lula cast consists of Gavin Stanley as Eddie Cochran and Billy Fury; Lars Young as Roy Orbison and Gene Vincent; and Spencer Evoy as Rocking Reverend DJ Spencer.
Be Bop A Lula opened in Liverpool at The Epstein Theatre in May 2014 and
continues to tour across the UK.
VeteranGavin Stanley is a tribute show veteran, having performed as Billy Fury, Eddie Cochran, Dion and Paul McCartney in numerous theatre productions. He fronts the band, The Boom Boom Booms. Lars Young has performed since childhood, touring in his family's professional gospel group.
The show's backing band includes double bass player Pete Pritchard, who was
inducted into the Rockabilly Hall of Fame after 25 years in rock'n'roll. He has performed with Elvis' guitarist Scotty Moore, Alvin Lee and many more.
BoostBe Bop A Lula is produced by Lord Tim Croxford. He says the show's arrival in the West End is a huge boost: "My wife and I took over a long-running show called Rockin' on Heaven's Door six years ago - a great show originally, but in severe financial problems, at the suggestion of a booking agent friend. We had hoped to retire after many years in business but as we are both avid rock and roll fans, this seemed a good opportunity to be involved in our kind of music.
"We changed the name of the show to Rock'n'Roll Paradise, a large theatrical production, and one of our front men is Gavin Stanley, who has been an actor and singer for years. As Eddie Cochran, he and Lars Young, our Roy Orbison, collaborated on a script for a play about the two American giants of rock'n'roll, Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent, who had a very successful tour of the UK before the car crash 55 years ago.
"They then created Be Bop A Lula the musical show around the script. He had a contact at the Ambassadors Theatre who agreed to try the show out, so as well as other UK theatres, it's an enormous boost for the show to bring it into the West End.
"Rock'n'Roll Paradise has been touring very successfully in the UK and Europe for the past five years with 2015 being its biggest UK tour ever. The new Be Bop a Lula show has only had three outings so far, with another this week at Camberley, and has been received with rave reviews from the audiences and critics.
"Be Bop A Lula is a great new show and Rock'n'Roll Paradise is now into its sixth year, the best tribute show touring today and the most professionally produced theatre show on the tribute circuit. Hopefully Be Bop A Lula will be equally successful.
"I am the producer of both shows, and my wife does all the administration for both shows, so it looks as though retirement has taken a back seat for the time being. That's rock'n'roll!"
From March 6th-9th it's Strollin' Steve's Seacroft R'n'R Party with The Kingcats, The Revolutionaires, JJ King & The Coolers, Graham Fenton, Greggi G & The Crazy Gang. Venue is the Seacroft Holiday Village, Hemsby, Norfolk NR29 4HR.
• The Bournemouth Rock'n'Roll Party no.16 takes place from May 15th-18th with The Kingcats, Danny & The Seniors and The Downtown Daddyos. Venue is Britannia Heathlands Hotel, Grove Road, East Cliff, Bournemouth BH1 3AY. For a booking form call Steve Ashdown on 01638 712187 / 07808 340776 or email email@example.com
• From August 21st-24th it's the Seacroft Rock'n'Roll Party no.9 with The Bobcats, Danny & The Seniors, Joey & The Jivers, Blast Off, Class Of 58 and Rockin' The Joint. Venue is Seacroft Holiday Village, Beach Road, Hemsby, Great Yarmouth NR29 4HR
• Country Meets Rock'n'Roll from October 9th-12 at Britannia Heathlands Hotel, Grove Road, East Cliff, Bournemouth BH1 3AY with live music from The Kingcats, The Doggone Honkabillies, The Heartbeats, Bob Keeley and Dave Whitmore.
The Shake Rattle & Roll Weekender runs from March 13th-16th with Brooks Wilson, Linda Gail Lewis and her daughter Marie Ann Dolan, Glenn Darren & the Krew Kats, Good Rockin Tonight, The Firebirds, Bernie Woods, Fever, Phil Haley & His Comments, Johnny & the Jailbirds, Lucas & The Dynamos, Wild Wind, Greggi G & The Crazy Gang, The Kingcats and The Revolutionaires. Venue is the Vauxhall Holiday Park in Great Yarmouth. More info on 01493 857231.
Yesterday Once More has an Elvis weekend at Brean Sands, Somerset on March 6th and 7th with Mark Keeley’s Good Rocking Tonight, The Unconditionals, Firebirds, Kingcats, Colin Paul & The Persuaders and Passionettes.
• March 20th sees the It's Still Rock'n'Roll To Me Weekender at Brean Sands with Si Cranstoun, The Keytones, Lucas & The Dynamos, Jets, Pete Donigan & The Lonnie Donigan Band, Firebirds, John Lewis Trio, Paul Ansell's Number 9, Kingcats, Lights Out, Play It Cool, Dough Boys, Danny & The Seniors and Bobcats.
• From April 17th-18th it's the Amazing Jive Weekend at Beverley Park Holiday Centre, Goodrington Road, Paignton with The Firebirds, Unconditionals, Kingcats, Jive Street, Bernie Woods & Forest Fires, Jets, Lights Out, Alligators, Dough Boys, Heartbeats, Joey & The Jivers, Mark Keeley’s Good Rocking Tonight and Colin Paul & The Persuaders.
• The Southport Jive Weekender takes place from May 15th-16th at Pontins Holiday Park, Shore Road, Ainsdale-on-Sea, Southport PR8 2PZ with The Firebirds, Jets, Kingcats, Jive Street, Mike Byrne & The Sunrockers, Unconditionals, Heartbeats, Colin Paul & The Persuaders, Blast Off, Rockin The Joint, Dough Boys, Rock Back the Clock and Joey & The Jivers.
• From July 3rd-4th the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool hosts Billy Fury Weekender no.5 with Colin Paul & The Persuaders, Jay Mcgee and Mark Keeleys Good Rocking Tonight.
• And it's back to the Adelphi for another jive weekend from August 21st-22nd with Colin Paul & The Persuaders, The Firebirds, Mark Keeley's Good Rocking Tonight, The Kingcats, Jive Street and Dominic Halpin & The Honey Bs.
• From October 30th-31st it's the Amazing Jive Weekend at Beverley Park Holiday Centre, Goodrington Road, Paignton with Play It Cool, Mark Keeley’s Good Rocking Tonight, Joey & The Jivers, Colin Paul & The Persuaders, Firebirds, Rockin The Joint, Blast Off, Jive Street, Kingcats, Heartbeats, Class of 58, The Alligators and Bernie Woods & Forest Fires.
Organiser Rob Hillier says:
"Hot early 50s rhythm‘n’blues and rock‘n’roll music are what you’re going to get - delivered to you like a shot in the arm. If the idea of getting in amongst our dancefloor piano and guitar ‘Boogie Throwdown’ or being led astray by wild 45s during the late night 'DJ
Showdown' grabs your attention, make it a priority to sign up now."
it jumps, jives, bops or strolls we want to know about it.
or call 07833 703189.